We will post details on this page whenever a job vacancy or internship opportunity arise at Saqi Books.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of enquiries we receive, we cannot respond to speculative applications.
Al Saqi Bookshop: Part-Time and Full-Time Booksellers
Located in Notting Hill, Al Saqi Books is Europe’s largest Middle Eastern specialist bookshop, with the most comprehensive stock of books on the region in English, as well as books on all subjects in Arabic. Since opening in 1978, the bookshop has become a centre of Middle Eastern life in London, catering for Middle Eastern residents in the UK as well as for travellers keen to obtain books banned in their own countries.
We are looking for one part-time and one full-time bookseller to join our small team. You will be involved in the complete process of bookselling, and your duties will be wide-ranging, from helping to select and buy books for stock, to serving at the tills (with first class customer service always being the main priority). Helping customers to find books that they have been searching for, or recommending books they might not have discovered, is an endless source of satisfaction, and you will also be part of a team of intelligent, independent-minded people who make our bookshop so unique.
Activities, duties & responsibilities:
- Day to day running of the bookshop including sales management, engaging with customers and clients
- Responsible for stock management and reporting back on sales and stock updates
- Providing excellent customer service; friendly and professional at all times, whether helping a customer choose a new book or a special gift.
- You will contribute to creating an enticing and vibrant bookshop. From creating inspiring displays to helping out at events, there will always be plenty of opportunity to use your initiative.
- Running the Al Saqi social media presence, including Instagram
Required skills & experience:
- Excellent written/verbal English and Arabic skills
- A love of books and knowledge of current literary topics
- Previous bookselling experience is desirable; experience in customer service in similar retail environments is also acceptable.
- Good computer skills
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Knowledge of running social media pages and following trends
- To be a team player and self-starter with a sense of fun and creativity
- Between £20,000 and £25,000 pro rata.
How to apply:
- Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
- We can only accept and respond to applications written in English.
- Due to the high volume of applicants, we will only be responding to successful candidates.
- Applications are open until 7 May 2021.